The New Legal Procedure for Holiday Rentals in Valencia Region


Posted and filed under Businesses in Spain, General Articles of Interest, Legal Issues in Spain, Local area.

You may recall last year that we posted an article about the new tourist licence law. Now it is obligatory for all owners letting out properties as holiday lets in the Valencia region to apply for a tourist licence. Here you have all the information for holiday Rentals in Valencia Region.

Please see this article on How to obtain a tourist licence Alicante. Also you have How to Obtain a Tourist Licence (Murcia Community).

Holiday rentals in Valencia Region

A client has suggested to us that we write a blog on the rules for holiday rentals in valencia. As many people are not clear. The police have sent us the new law and these are the main points:

  •  All establishments letting rooms (hotels, apartments, bed and breakfasts etc.). They are now obliged to keep a register book. In this book they note the details of the people entering the property. This is  in accordance with the procedure established by the Ministry of the Interior.
  • Any person over the age of sixteen who enters the establishment must sign an entry document. This is according to the procedure by the Ministry of the Interior.

The details of the entry must match the data contained in their passport or National Identity Document.

They will have to be shown by the renters (passports for Foreign travellers, DNI’s for Spanish). Which is why now in Spain if staying anywhere you must take your passport with you

What does renters must do?

Renters must give personal information because of the law (Ley orgánica 15/1999 from 13th December). If they are concerned about Data protection law, they are covered under the provisions of article: 12.1 of Ley Orgánica 1/1992 from 21st February (Protection of citizen security).

The renters must sign a form when entering the property and the landlord must save it for three years.

In addition, the landlord must fill in a form online giving details of the people staying to the police, accessing this with codes from the Police station.

Landlords must have a sign outside their front door by law (shown here).

Tourism Licence Alicante, Valencia
Tourism Licence Sign

How can Spanish Solutions help?

After the end of March 2018, we started offering the steps of going to the Police station. That is to get the user and password for the online access and printing the sign to be installed, as well as the actual Tourism licence.

Spanish Solutions can help clients apply for a tourism licence to let their apartment or even just a room. Please contact us for any enquiries.

Also, we can help you with the guidance as to how entries must be recorded for each person staying at the property.

You will need to get the codes to access the forms online where the renters’ personal data has to be detailed by law. 

Data Protection and Security

There should be no concern over the personal data of the renters as it is stored by the Police securely, and is very definitely safe. 

It is exactly the same as a hotel asking for names, details, passports and a signature. The landlord will never be liable for the renters’ behaviour.

The landlord is simply responsible for communicating their personal data in the 24 hours from the date of entry, and they are covered by Data Protection Law etc.

But clearly any unlawful acts carried out by the renters, the renters are liable for. There is no responsibility on the owner of the property.

This is important and we urge anyone letting their property to abide by the law. Spanish Solutions can help you and it is fairly inexpensive. Please contact Ana  for assistance with this matter.


  • James evans

    Hi does youre company speak english , would you be able to get a tourismn licence for us and help with taxes ? , its a 1 bed apartment in denia
    Many thanks james

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning James,

      Yes we do speak English, Ana who deals with the tourist licence and taxes, will be in contact with you via email shortly to get more information and discuss this matter further.

      Kind regards

  • Janice Moore

    We applied for a tourism license in May 2018, we are still waiting!

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Janice,

      This is not unusual, the town halls are taking some time to process the tourist licences.

      Kind regards

  • Tracy

    Hi there. I have received a letter which informs us of our identification number. However how do we.print out the red poster which I think we need by the front door. Many thanks

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Tracy,

      The red poster is an actual plaque and can not be printed, we can assist you with this. My colleague Ana will be in contact with you shortly, via email, to give you more information.

      Kind regards

  • Susan Deeley

    Hi…We have a rental apartment in Javea…and I have to say we had no idea that we should complete a form with each client and notify the police. Is there a standard form to use? Can we obtain it from the police???
    Secondly we went to see our accountant recently with details of all of our rentals for 2018…she has informed us that the hacienda now needs- number of clients staying/ arrival and departure dates/individual bill totals for each stay/ and an NIE number for each client. It is the last point that has us very confused…we have clients from all over the world who do not posess NIE numbers…What can we do to keep the Hacienda happy in this case????

    • Ian C.

      Hello Susan,

      I have just emailed you over the form you need. Let me know if you don’t get it for any reason.
      Ana, as i say in the email, is a pro on all things related to renting property in Spain. She does tourism licences, non resident tax, tax related to the rental of your Spanish property etc.
      She can help on the rental tax without the NIE of the tenants.
      There is a way at the tax form that it is not required.
      If you email Ana directly, (office @ etc) you will get some real practical advice!
      You do have your property licence in place, right? Renting a property in Spain without it, is just not worth the risk!

      Hope the property rental in Javea goes well, what a nice part of the Spain to own a second home!



  • Richard

    Hi, on the form that the renter needs to complete, as far as I can work out, we need to record:
    – Their names
    – Passport or DNI, (or equivalent)
    – Date of arrival in the property and
    – Length of stay.
    Do you think there is anything else? (We already have our plaque and have registered with the Guardia Civil for logging in).
    And the final question – do all the guests over sixteen need to sign or is one of them enough?
    Best wishes.

    • Ian C.

      Hello Richard,
      Sounds like you are up to date with your property rental in Spain. Well done!
      I’ll email you private now, but in the meantime….
      Couple of things come to mind:
      Do you have your architect certificate stating your property fulfils the relevant requirements here in Spain? Do you have your EPC- Energy Performance certificate? Is your home insured- specifically is it insured for short term rental?
      Are you up to date on your Spanish property rental tax?
      The rules are pretty favourable for landlords and you can write off many expenses:
      interest of the mortgage when you paid for the property.
      Council Tax, rubbish collection, wifi, insurance, community fees, water/electricity bills etc.
      Maintenance of the property, furniture depreciation, equipment repair, upgrading, painting etc etc.
      Marketing on various portals- AirBnb etc,
      Our fees! All fees paid to registered fiscal companies like Spanish Solutions are tax deductible. It makes little or no sense to go to private non tax paying “expert” to help you with this; our advice is to use a real company!
      You don’t pay VAT on property rental in spain, unless you are adding extra services, like laundry or food preparation.
      Best wishes, speak more on email just now.

  • Andrew

    I am a neighbor of a rental property how do I report them for excessive noise and rude behaviour

    • Ian C.

      Hello Andrew,
      First and foremost, you need to be sure they are breaking the law. Being rude is not a crime but excessive noise, particularly at night certainly it.
      You must, assuming all efforts to talk reason with these people have been exhausted, make a denuncia to the local Guardia Civil Station.
      Spanish Solutions can help find you a translator, if you are not fluent in Spanish. Just bring your passport, residency certificate or NIE number. Keep a record of any incidents which have occured- times and dates of loud noises etc.
      You should be able to give the police regarding the neighbours:
      Date and time of events
      Details of witnesses
      After you make your report the police will make a visit and chat to the people involved. Often this is enough for people to realise that they are indeed acting out of order.
      Good luck!

  • Denise Pritchard

    Hi, we have a question, are we allowed to stipulate that we will not rent our holiday villa to anyone groups or couple groups under the age of 30?

  • Andrew

    Can I report a villa owner for not having the tourism license not on display
    And how would I report him ?

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Andrew,

      There seems to be some confusión over where the plaque, confirming the tourist licence number, has to be displayed. The plaque can be displayed in the house and doesnt have to be visual from the outside. If you have any concerns you would have to go to the Guarda Civil to denounce the owner, we hope this help.

      Kind regards

  • terry

    We live next door to an idiot who thinks there are no rules in Spain and he can do what ever he pleases, from music on so loud that it could be heard in the next village to screaming and shouting while throwing people in the pool at 3am. We have had both the local police and the Guardia out on numerous occasions in the past but all they do is warn him to which he takes no notice, we have even contacted our solicitor over this matter who told us to keep a log which we have done. Not only is he the problem but his rents are just as bad, we know for sure he is not renting legally and to get around the new laws he has a key safe by the front door and rent-ties are given the combination to get the keys out so as nobody sees them in or out. We have spoken to the cleaner who says she doesn’t want to get involved, we are convinced he is not paying taxes here and have even tried contacting the Belgium tax office who says they are unable to do anything as he says he is resident in Spain. Please can you suggest a way forward for us so as we can live a peaceful life here.

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Terry,

      Your Solicitor is correct, you and the other neighbours must keep a diary of the events and then it would be best to denounce the neighbour at the Guarda Civil, this will be recorded as a formal complaint and decide if they have enough evidence to take the matter further.

      If you want to check if your neighbour is renting without a tourist licence , which is ilegal, you would have to contact your nearest tourist board who will be able to confirm and discuss this matter further with you , we hope this helps.

      Kind regards

  • Roger ERNST


    Is there any new rules or law about renting an appartment in a community, if the majority of owners voted at the general meeting not to autozize any Holiday rental.

    Best REgards

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Roger,

      If we can remember correctly , there was a new law in March 2019 regarding rentals, your Admisitrator would be able to detail this for you and confirm what will happen in the event that you or anyone else rents their property out against the community agreement. With any queries regarding a community it is always best to contact the Administrator for advice, we hope this helps.

      Kind regards

  • Matthew Taylor

    Hello are you involved with property rental issues in Alcossebre? We are in the Alcala De Xivert municipality.

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Matthew,

      Please feel free to email further details to ,we will review your case and come back to you. Some things can be dealt with from a far. We look forward to hearing from you.

      Kind regards

  • Stephen Atkins

    Dear Spanish Solutions
    When completing the policy registration for arriving clients/visitors why is it necessary to include the details of a key holder including his/her family including parents?

    Many thanks.

    Stephen Atkins

    • Amanda Thomas

      Hi Stephen, Is because the law requires it. Is the way that the Spanish government identifies this person. Sorry, we know it is a pain. Kind regards

  • Olive O neill

    What the law. After your renting a Apparent for 3 yrs

  • Eileen Palmer

    I rent the apartment in my villa, in which I am resident,
    What is the law about my renters, inviting their own guests and family to visit and use our apartment, pool and facilities for the day, should I register their names?

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Eileen,

      If there are visitors for the day and no money is exchanging hands you will not need a tourist licence, we hope this helps.

      Kind regards

  • Nick Lawton

    I was hoping to get a tourist licence for my 3 bedroom flat in Alicante but I’ve heard that these days a property needs a private entrance in order to get a tourist licence. There seems to be so much conflicting information on the internet that I’m not sure how true this is. Can you clarify?

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Nick,

      We understand your frustration. This is not correct, many apartments have tourist licences but there are some areas of Alicante where you cannot get a tourist licence.

      We know you cannot get a tourist licence in the first line in front of the sea, affected by coast law, and also if it is an apartment, a tourist licence will not be granted if you have a neighbour living next door or below, it would need to be the sole property on the floor or a ground floor with a local underneath.

      We would suggest you check with the Alicante town hall, if the tourist licence is possible or should any assistance in checking, we would be delighted to help. To check we only need a copy of your council tax bill.We hope this helps.

      Kind regards

  • Paul Rooney

    Good Day. If a person owns just one house/apartment/villa in Alicante
    province which the use for part of the year, do they need a tourist rental licence if they occasionally (a few weeks a year) rent the
    property ?

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Paul,

      Thank you for your enquiry.

      If you rent your property out and receive money for this, then yes, you have to have a tourist licence in place before renting the property. Please see the link below detailing the tourist licence process in the Orihuela Costa region. This process will differ region to region.

      Should you need further assistance in obtaining your tourist licence, please do not hesitate to contact us. Spanish Solutions have dealt with tourist licences all over Spain, we would be delighted to help.

      Kind regards

  • Stephen Cosgrove


    We have a villa with a tourist license however the guardia have insisted we have to register our own details and copy of passports have to be added for each stay when we visit ourselves within 24 hours of arriving. I understand we have to do this for guests however i fail to see the logic of us personally having to pass our details over when we arrive for our private stay.
    Can you confirm if the owners have to register as well as guest for there stays?
    We employ a property manager who looks after the villa license requirements and he has insisted he needs to register us as well even though we are the owners, not paying rent?
    Many thanks

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Stephen,

      Thank you for your enquiry.

      We understand your frustration. We have never heard of this, it may be a new process which has been put in place. If the Police have requested you to register, even though you are the owners, we can not argue with this, we are sorry. The details can be logged online, you need access codes from your local Police station, which will make the process easier, but we are sure your property manager will already have this in place, we hope this helps.

      Kind regards / Saludos cordiales

      Nicola Ryan

  • Brian

    Can you help with the process of renting out a property,from the start to the end. Forms, licence, architect, can you let me know what this will cost.

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Brian,

      We would be delighted to help you.

      Firstly can we ask where your property is please, As the process is different is each area (the process is Alicante is different to the process in Murcia)

      As an example, please see a link below detailing the tourist licence process in the Valencia Community. Please note this can differ slightly from region to region for example, some town halls will add a tax for the compatability report but generally the rest of the process remains the same.

      Our fee for the codes, to register your guests with the Police, may change depending on where you live.
      We look forward to hearing from you,
      Kind regards

  • Tracey Jackson

    Hi I am thinking of buying for retirement however will rent to holidaymakers if it is safe to, Can you recommend a reputable rental property manager for people who are not residents of Spain

    • Ian C.

      Hello Tracey,
      Thanks for getting in touch with Spanish Solutions. I’m passing you over to an expert in the selling of property, he is also very knowledgeable in rentals. 
      We will be delighted to help you on all legal, licence and tax issues you may have.
      You need to be careful
      Best wishes,

  • Maki Almaki

    We have booked an apartment for our elderly parents for two weeks this summer. We have paid the full amount in advance with good faith. Unfortunately, with COVID-19 our travel is cancelled by the airline.
    The owner of the private property (he stays in the property part of the year) Refused to refund the money and asked us to go through the insurance! What do you suggest? Is his position legal?

    • Amanda Thomas

      Dear Maki, We would need to know a lot more information about the agreement you had, or the terms of booking according to a contract or the website etc to advise, if there was a contract, the terms, but we could maybe send the owner a legal formal letter. If you paid on credit card, maybe you can make a claim to the credit card company. With kind regards

    • Ian C.

      Hello Maki,

      That is a shame that your holiday to Spain is cancelled due to the CoronaVirus. Is there any other option for flights? A friend of mine travelled internationally recently and he said it was a good experience- no particular delays. Everyone had their mask on for the duration of the flight, but apart from that, totally normal.
      A break in Spain might do your parents the world of good?
      What website did you use to book your trip? they will be able to help I’m sure. I know Air BnB is helping clients to get refunds.
      If you used a registered property rental agent, then it is their responsibility.
      I’m hoping you didn’t do a Private deal or book with a friend of a friend sort of arrangement?? It is never a good idea.
      Other alternatives are to appeal to the owner to refund 50% for example, our to move your booking forward to 2021- All fair requests I think.

      Let me know some more information and I’ll see what we can do,



  • Maki Almaki

    Thank you Amanda,

    No contract. Only communication through text as he his residence is within our community. We paid by credit card!

    • Amanda Thomas

      Hi Maki, It would be a civil claim. We would send a legal letter asking for the amount, but if they do not pay it may not be worth going to Court. It is difficult if no terms had been agreed. I would need all the details of the reservation, copies of the texts and payment to We charge over a 100 euros for a legal letter sent by burofax so to help you, my first point would be to contact the insurance and the credit card company. And use us if that does not work. You only have a month to claim on credit card I think. Kind regards Amanda

  • Maki Almaki

    Thanks Ian. It’s sort a friend arrangement I am afraid. Thank you for you advice. Much appreciated.



    • Ian C.

      Hello Maki,

      You don’t need to hear “I told you so” but we tell all our clients constantly of the dangers of private agreements in Spain- it goes wrong statistically 90% of the time!
      Do you have any agreement with him by email?

      I’m hoping we can help you,


  • Maki Almaki

    Dear Amanda,

    Thank you very much. I’ll try with the insurance and credit card first. I’ll come back to you if I fail.

    Kind regards


  • Jonathan Mellor

    we have rented properties, in our community, no red licence on show, 2 bed apartment with up to 11 people staying, what can we put in the community rules, to address this, and how can we check they have registered with the police?

    • Ian C.

      Hello Jonathan.

      All landlords must have a tourist licence in place before they rent their properties.
      You mean you were a tenant or you had friends stay in a neighbours apartment? Did the landlord (of that is not you) charge for the stay?
      It is a very delicate matter and a serious one for the landlord.
      Can you pls privately email us a few more details?

  • jonathan mellor

    No Im a owner and resident of the community, and more and more properties are having holiday renters, and the majority of the apartments. 90%, are 2 bedroom, but large families or at peak times groups of singles same sex , are coming, up to 11 staying, I want to bring up with the president , actual rules we can have in the community rules to protect the owners, and control the type of people we allow on our small community, using the law to protect us.

    • Amanda Thomas

      Dear Jonathan, you need to meet with the President and Administrator, as this is the Administator’s role to advise on this in particular to your Community in regard to arranging any proposed changes to your Community rules, Kind regards

  • Gisele Volpe

    Hi there, if I am the resident of a property in Javea, and I Airbnb 1 bedroom of the house I live from time to time , do I still need a tourist license ?

    • Jane

      Hi Gisele

      If you rent any of the properties out then you require a tourist licence.

      Kind Regards


  • Jean-Pierre Bettschen

    Hi there, I am Swiss and resident in Switzerland. I have a holiday home in Alicante which I want to rent out a few weeks in the summer. I officialy applied for the tourism licence one month ago and still wait for the number to be received. My question is referred to taxes. I’m trying to find out what will be the percentage of tax that I will have to pay in Spain on my rental income. Can anybody please ulluminate me. Thank you so much.

    • Nicola Ryan

      Morning Jean-Pierre,

      Thank you for your enquiry.

      To rent your property out in Spain, you would be liable to pay tax at 24% and will be unable to make any deductions for expenses etc. Should you need any assistance with your rental tax, please do not hesitate to contact us, we would be delighted to help you.

      Kind regards

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




Looking for a solution?

Feel free to get in touch with any enquiries and one of our friendly members of staff will get back to you as soon as possible.

Form loading.