Applying for residency in Spain (A couple with EU and non EU nationality).


Posted and filed under .

We recently had a client who is British and her husband is from New Zealand. They asked how they could apply for Residency in the Valencia region (please note it varies from region to region) and this is how we responded:-

Being a British citizen it is fairly easy to apply for residency. You would have to apply first, and then your husband who I understand is from New Zealand would have to apply once you have yours.  You need the following for yourself –

If you are retired you need the following docs to apply for residency –

S1 healthcare forms from the British government

Yearly pension letter from the department of pensions.

Recent Bank statements showing the pension being paid in to your account

Padron certificate from your local town hall

Passport photograph

passport copy

NIE (if you have one)

If you are not retired you need the following docs –

Full cover private health insurance policy (in Spanish).

A minimum of 7,500€ per person in your bank account (any account). 3 months bank statements.

Padron certificate from your local town hall.

Passport photograph

passport copy

NIE (if you have one)

If you are working here in Spain, it is much easier to get residency.

You would only need a certificate from the social security saying that you are working and a padron certificate.

Once you have your residencia, your husband can apply for his at the office in Alicante.

You would attend an appointment here in Playa Flamenca town hall.

The documents for your husband’s residency would include a legalised marriage certifiacte, notarised and translated officially. (We can do this as well at an extra charge).

And all of your documents again as he would get residency as your dependant.

The foreigner’s office may ask for extra documents depending on your situation.



  • Tayyab

    Can i apply after completing three years of padron on the base of business instead of getting a work contract from any company. Is it possible if i directly make my own company and start my own business.


    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Tayyab,

      You cannot apply for residencia based on the fact you have been on the Padrón for 3 years, we are sorry.

      You can start your own buisness and become Atonomo, then when your company has been trading for 30 days or more you can apply for residencia as “employed”. Firstly it is best to contact a Fiscal Advisor who will help you start your company. Good luck.

      Kind regards

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




Looking for a solution?

Feel free to get in touch with any enquiries and one of our friendly members of staff will get back to you as soon as possible.

Form loading.