CASE STUDY – Car Change of Ownership


Posted and filed under .

A few days ago a client sent us this message, which is very clear.

Good morning. I will be selling a car in October this year. We are both based in the UK but both have properties in Spain. We would like to enquire regarding your service to help with the transfer of ownership. Many thanks.

This is how we replied straight away, as we always do:-

Good Morning,

Thank you for your enquiry, it would be a pleasure to help you with your change of ownership.

To carry out this process we require the following documents;

-Original ITV

-Original Logbook

-Copy of passport and NIE for both the buyer and seller

-Original Contract of Sale (this has to be in Spanish and signed by both the seller and buyer, we can provide this for you if needed)

-SUMA or IBI council tax bill

-Electricity or water bill or Padron confirming the buyer’s address, (no more than 6 months old)

The cost for the change of ownership is 242€ + Taxes, the taxes are calculated by Trafico upon receipt of the log book and ITV, please feel free to email me a copy of these documents to pass to Trafico to confirm the total cost. The cost of the change of ownership is usually the responsibility of the buyer.

Should you have any queries or questions in regards to this please do not hesitate to contact us. We can deal with many matters to do with cars.


  • Sarah

    We have a car that we want to give to my sister in law (it is quite old and we will need to get an upto date ITV Test as we have not been able to get to Spain due to the pandemic)

    Are we allowed to drive the car to the ITV testing station as the ITV has run out? What are your charges to arrange the transfer and what documents do you require from both parties please.

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Sarah,

      Thank you for your enquiry.

      We can help you for sure, please see a link below detailing the documents required for the change of vehicle ownership, please feel free to email us a copy of your ITV and log book to confirm the total cost.

      In regard to driving the car to the ITV station, it would be best to book an appointment with the ITV station and have this as evidence in case you are stopped on the way. We hope this helps.

      Kind regards

  • Elizabeth Harris

    My husband has died how do I get the car in my name

    • Amanda Thomas

      Dear Elizabeth, Please accept my sincere sympathy regarding your husband. In Spain a Spanish probate has to be done for all assets in his name in Spain, bank, property, car etc to transfer to his heir/s. Please let me know if I can help you with this and I will advise the documentation needed. With kind regards, Amanda

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.




Looking for a solution?

Feel free to get in touch with any enquiries and one of our friendly members of staff will get back to you as soon as possible.

Form loading.