CASE STUDY – Importation/Plate Transfer


Posted and filed under .

We received an email this morning which may be of interest to some of you wondering about the same thing; importing a vehicle to Spain or changing a vehicle to Spanish plates.

We are always happy to help with these enquiries and are very experienced in them.

Re: Importation/ Plate Transfer

Hello Amanda,

I found your details from your website. I am a registered non-resident and have had a holiday home just down the road for the past 10 years.

Shortly, I will be bringing my car to Spain and will be looking to transfer its registration quite quickly.

Can you give me a quote for the administration work involved and an estimate of any costs involved?

I am aware the vehicle will need ITV certification and this will be arranged in due course.

I look forward to hearing from you.

We quickly replied saying the following:-

Good Morning

We would be delighted to help you import your vehicle.

Our fee and Trafico fee is 363€ + import taxes+ road tax (SUMA), the import taxes and SUMA is calculated by Trafico upon receipt of the logbook.

I have emailed the log book to Trafico and will return to you with the total cost upon their reply. The licence plates are also included in this price.

After the ITV has been carried out, we can submit the documents to Trafico, Trafico require the following documents



-Original White ITV (with picture of your vehicle on)

-Original 3 Blue sheets from ITV

-Water or electricity bill or Padron no more than 6 months old to confirm your address.

-Original V5

This process takes around 2 weeks from the submission of the documents,

Should you have any queries in regards to this please do not hesitate to contact us.


  • Pepe Capirote

    For ITV test could you clarify a couple of queries
    I have a fig light on the opposite side to Spain which I have wired to the correct side, however the car has a reverse light which has now been removed, is it a legal requirement to have the reverse light fitted to the other side? Can I fit an additional light to the rear of the car for this purpose or does that require more paperwork?
    Also I’m told you have to have matching brand and model of tyres on each axle, is this correct?
    Do the tyres pass if they are the correct size but different brands or models fitted to the same axle?
    If I have two equal brand and model tyres but with different tread depths is this acceptable?

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Pepe,

      We have been informed that the 4 tyres have to be the same make, size ect for the ITV test when changing to Spanish plates. The ITV station will go over the car thoroughly and can be very pernickety, it may be best to get a mechanic who visits the ITV station on a regular basis to do the pre-ITV and take the car down, that way the car will pass on the firts time, the mechanic will also know what requirements the ITV station have in relation to a vehicle being imported, we hope this helps.

      Kind regards

  • Kate Cammish

    What is “Original V5” please. Do you need to have an appointment or can we just come to the office?
    Thank you

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Kate,

      Yes, please pop into the office whenever is best for you.

      The “original V5” means the actual document and not a copy. When we do a change to Spanish plates at Trafico, they always insist on the original vehicle documents being submitted. You do get stamped copies of these back at the end of the process.

      We will contact you directly, to confirm how we can be of assistance.
      Kind regards

  • NICK Saeid mowlavi

    I have one Mercedes Benz 220cdi 2014 and I want to replicate to Alicante
    I would like to know how much wil it cost for me and how much does your service cost
    Best regards
    NICK mowlavi

    • Nicola Ryan

      Thank you for your enquiry.

      To confirm the taxes and customs for the importation of your car we would need a copy of your V5. We will contact you directly to discuss this matter further.

      Kind regards

  • Dan

    Hi, I have a 2003 VW Caravelle. We have recently moved to Spain (in September 2023) from Belgium and so the car is currently on Belgian plates. However, it’s British in origin and transferred to Belgian plates from UK ones in 2019. My Belgian MOT/ITV expires in mid-November. I am having terrible trouble trying to get the process going. Is it possible someone could advise?

    • Nicola Ryan

      Morning Dan,

      The general rule of thumb is if the vehicle passes the ITV, it will be imported to Spain. Can we confirm if the vehicle has been inspected by the ITV station for the purpose of importation.

      If the vehicle has passed the ITV, we can help with changing to Spanish plates and setting up the road tax.

      Kind regards

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




Looking for a solution?

Feel free to get in touch with any enquiries and one of our friendly members of staff will get back to you as soon as possible.

Form loading.