Returning to Live In The UK


Posted and filed under Brexit and Spain.

If you have decided to return permanently in the UK having been a Resident, then there are certain things that you need to be aware of, and to do.  We can also assist with returning to other countries to live. Please talk to us about your individual circumstances.

Firstly, of course, we can help with you with the legal work associated with selling a property and assist in finding a respected property agent to deal with the sale.

We can also assist with the paperwork for a change of ownership if you are selling your Spanish car.

If you are returning to live in the UK permanently, it is important you tell both the UK and Spanish authorities.


You should deregister with:

a) the local town hall if you were registered there (if you have been on the padrón)
b) the Spanish National Police (cancelling your Residencia)
c) your local health centre so that your SIP card is cancelled.
d) tax office – cancelling fiscal residency

We can assist with all of this and it is important as when you return having done this will help prove you are living in the UK.

In addition, of course, if you receive UK State Pension or benefits payments, you must tell the International Pension Centre that you are returning to the UK.


If you receive healthcare in Spain through the S1 form rather than working, so as a pensioner, then contact the Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 191 218 1999 to advisw that you are going back as the S1 needs ot be cancelled which covers your healthcare in Spain, otherwise the UK continues to pay for you.


With regards to tax, then when you move back you will be a UK resident again and although we do not advise on UK tax, you will pay UK tax on your UK income and any foreign income and gains, although you may not have to if your permanent home (‘domicile’) remains outside the UK.  You will need to contact a UK tax adviser for advice. We can assist with cancelling your Spanish tax residency.

When you are back you need to call the HMRC and ask about registering for self assessment, but you do not need to if you are employed and don’t have other income. Telephone: 0300 200 3300 Outside UK:00 44 135 535 9022 You need your National Insurance number to hand.

National Insurance

If you are not a pensioner then you usually start paying National Insurance again if you work in the UK. If you didn’t pay it while you were abroad, you can check your National Insurance record to see how your State Pension might be affected and ask if you can make extra payments so you can catch up having the right amount for your future pension. For National Insurance queries, telephone:0300 200 3500 and from outside UK: 00 44 191 203 7010

The first steps are to come and see us to discuss anything to do with selling your property, car, and cancelling padron, tax, residencia etc. We will be happy to help. Email for an appointment.

On the contrary, if you are moving to Spain and need help with all these matters, buying a property, obtaining NIE, Residencia, etc. we can also assist.


  • María


    Would you be able to help if I was thinking to go back to Spain after living in England for 14 years please? What would I have to do with my pension papers and if I have to notify someone about this before leaving the UK?
    Many thanks,

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Maria,

      If you intend to move back to Spain, it would be best to speak to a Fiscal Advisor or your Pension Providers, to explain your situation, they will then be able to confirm what would happen in your situation. We hope this helps.

      Kind regards

  • Tina Jones

    Can you recommend any Accountant/Financial advisor that know about Spain taxes here in the UK, Brighton area

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




Looking for a solution?

Feel free to get in touch with any enquiries and one of our friendly members of staff will get back to you as soon as possible.

Form loading.