Are you a Spanish resident with a UK driving licence


Posted and filed under Legal Paperwork (NIE, Residencia, Padron).

Are you a Spanish resident with a UN driving licence?

We have good news for all clients who have a UK driving licence. There is a new agreement between the UK and Spain, after all extensions.

The agreement was signed on 14th March 2023 and puts an end to all extensions we had in the last two years. This is definitive. You now have 6 months to swap your UK driving licence for a Spanish licence, without any driving tests. This agreement is also in place in the UK, you can exchange a Spanish driving licence for a UK licence.

Please note your UK driving licence must be dated before 14th March, this is an unavoidable requirement.

So for British citizens who are Spanish residents and did not apply for the change before Brexit or the previous extensions, they can do it from 16th March.

You will be able to drive with your UK driving licence in Spain for 6 months from 16th March 2023 while you are waiting for the new driving licence.

It is important to highlight the fact that Spain and the UK will share information of vehicles and their owners to deal with fines in both countries in a better way.

Do you need help?

Spanish Solutions can help you with this and most importantly offer you a service where you do not need to visit trafico. You simply submit the required documents to us, and we do the rest.

Should you have any queries or would like to proceed please email or call 966761741.


  • Torbjorn Sundkvist

    I am a Swedish citizen with a UK driving license expired Feb 2023.I am 72.I moved from UK to Spain July 2022.There is a problem for those with expired license and over 70 can’t be verified by Spanish authorities using DVLA software is my information from DGT.They are waiting for a solution from the Brits. before exchanging license,waited 4 weeks.Any information about this problem?

    • Nicola Ryan

      Morning Torbjorn,

      We have not had any clients in this category so have have not heard about this problem, we are sorry.

      Kind regards

  • Ian Goymer

    I am a British citizen with Spanish residencia. I live in both countries for varying times during the year. I do not own a car but rent when I’m in each country. I have a UK driving licence and an International driving permit. Do I need to do anything to comply with these new regulations?

    • Nicola Ryan

      Thank you for your enquiry Ian,

      If you are a Spanish resident and driving in Spain with a UK licence you will receive large fines. There is a 6 months grace period just now for 6 months starting 14/03/23, after this time the UK licence will no longer be valid to drive in Spain. We would recommend that you exchange your UK licence for a Spanish licence as soon as possible. We can help you with this, no problem.

      Kind regards

  • Tracey Moore

    Hi. My husband is 73 and a Spanish resident since December 2022. His driving licence expired in March 2023. He has been unable to exchange his licence because the categories on the back of the card have expired also. The DGT are saying that they are waiting for the DVLA to resolve some kind of technical issue. In the meantime there is no information from the DVLA regarding this. Can you help? My query is similar to Torbjorn’s above.

    • Nicola Ryan

      Morning Tracey,

      We have not been made aware of this issue. You could contact the DVLA to ask what else can be done and the timescales to have this fixed. We hope this helps.

      Kind regards

  • Raymond Speller

    Hi. My query is similar to Tracey’s.

    I am 76. I have been a Spanish resident since April 2022. My UK licence expired in January 2023.

    I have been unable to exchange my licence with the DGT. They say they must be able to see the categories I was able to drive on the computer screen when they input my DVLA check code. This information does not come on the screen because the the licence has expired.

    Also, the DGT will not accept a ‘Certificate of Entitlement’ which the DVLA sent me and I presented to the DGT.

    The DGT say nothing more can be done by them, it is up to the DVLA to update their system, to show categories allowed to drive for expired licences when DGT input the DVLA check code.

    DVLA say they can only send the ‘Certificate of Entitlement’, which the DGT will not accept.

    I have been 9 weeks trying to deal with this situation.

    Please could you help.

    • Nicola Ryan

      Morning Raymond,

      You should be able to get a replacement UK licence which will then allow you to make the exchange.We hope this helps.

      Kind regards

  • Gemma Carruthers

    Hi. I’m waiting for my Spanish driving licence to arrive in the post. In about a week I’ll be going to the UK, I’m wondering if it hasn’t arrived by the time I go, can I still drive in the UK? Thanks in advance

    • Nicola Ryan

      Thank you for your enquiry Gemma,

      If you do not have your Spanish licence, you would need to apply for an international Spanish licence. You can apply for this as long as you have your temporary Spanish licence. You can obtain this in around 7-10 days. If you are local to La Zenia, we can help you with this. We hope this helps.


  • Salim

    Hi hope you are well , I’m wondering if I obtain the uk driver license now I can exchange in the future for a valid Spanish one ? Thanks

    • Nicola Ryan

      Thank you for your enquiry Salim,

      You can only apply for a Spanish licence if you are a Spanish resident and the licence is dated before you became a Spanish resident. We hope this helps.


  • Belinda Bonaccorsi

    Hi, I am a British resident but own a property and car in Spain and use them following the Schengen calendar of 90 days out of 180 days. Am I allowed to continue using by British licence during the time I live in Spain?

    • Nicola Ryan

      Thank you for your enquiry Belinda,

      As you are not resident in Spain, you can drive with your UK licence, no problem.


  • Mike

    Hi, I am resident in Spain but hold a UK licence. I don’t drive in Spain and have no intention of driving here, as the public transport is enough. Can I just hold on to my UK licence and use it when I go back to the UK? I don’t visit the UK often, maybe once a year for a short period. I still have property and my address on my UK licence is still my UK address.

    • Nicola Ryan

      Thank you for your enquiry Mike,

      If you are a Spanish resident, your UK licence will not be valid in the UK as you would need to change to a Spanish licence. You would only be able to drive in UK with a UK licence if you are a UK resident. We hope this helps.


  • Jay Muller

    I have an uk license but I’m an irish citizen living in Spain with a NIE card. I haven’t driven in Spain yet but have only just noticed the new ruling which means I won’t be able to exchange license within 6 month period. Is there any leeway on this or do I need to apply for Spanish license and do tests as I’m looking to buy a car and drive in Spain now.

    • Nicola Ryan

      Afternoon James,

      You can exchange the UK driving licence for a Spanish licence after 15th September 2023. However, the law states any UK licence holders can not drive in Spain after 15th September 2023 unless they are in possession of a temporary Spanish licence or the Spanish licence itself. There is no way around this, unfortunately.

      We note that you have the NIE, please note you need to be a Spanish resident to exchange your driving licence.

      We hope this helps.


  • James Mullen

    Hi I cannot get through to DGT for 6 weeks now to get my uk license exchanged to Spanish license. Can you help?

    • Nicola Ryan

      Thank you for your enquiry James,

      We received your enquiry via email and have answered via this channel.


  • Neil Higgs

    Has anyone else been refused the exchange because they lost the license photocard, despite having paper counterpart, DVLA check code and everything else required? I can’t be the only one being punished for having my wallet stolen.

    • Nicola Ryan

      Thank you for your enquiry Neil,

      It is true that trafico will only allow you to apply for a Spanish licence if you have a valid, physical UK licence.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




Looking for a solution?

Feel free to get in touch with any enquiries and one of our friendly members of staff will get back to you as soon as possible.

Form loading.