HEALTHCARE IN SPAIN
UK STATE PENSIONERS
Under EU regulations, the UK pays Spain an average annual cost to provide healthcare for its pensioners. Healthcare is provided to UK state pensioners resident in Spain and holders of a S1 form from the UK on the same basis as healthcare given to Spanish pensioners. Therefore, healthcare changes that are applicable to Spanish state pensioners are equally applied to all UK state pensioners.
PROOF OF HEALTHCARE
If you are applying for your residence certificate, you may be asked to show proof that you are covered for healthcare in Spain when making your application. If you are a UK state pensioner for example, you may be able to use your S1 form to meet this requirement. A full list of requirements should be obtained from your local Oficina de Extranjeros or designated police station. More details can be found on http://www.interior.gob.es/ (information is in Spanish) and follow the links for extranjería.
Most people, including UK pensioners, are required to pay a percentage of the cost of their prescription medication.
The amount each person pays will depend on annual income and individual situation.
“CONVENIO ESPECIAL” / SPECIAL AGREEMENT
The Spanish government has a state-run ‘Convenio Especial’ (Special Agreement) for those without access to state health cover (so not not insured or not beneficiaries of the National Health System).
– The special agreement for the provision of health care subscribed with the Generalitat allows access to health services of the National Health System, within the Region of Valencia.
– The special agreement does not cover the benefits such as pharmaceutical, orthopedic, dietary products or non-urgent health care.
Persons registered in a municipality of the Region of Valencia who do not have the status of insured or beneficiaries of the National Health System, nor have access to a system of public health protection in any other way, and that prove residence in Spain during a continuous period of at least one year immediately prior to the date of the request of the special agreement can apply.
A) To prove effective residence in Spain for a continuous period of at least one year immediately prior to the date of the request of the special agreement.
B) To be registered, at the moment of submitting the application for the special agreement, in a municipality belonging to the territorial scope of the Comunitat.
C) Not having access to a system of public health protection even through bilateral agreements that in this matter have been signed by Spain with other countries.
What fees must be paid and how to make your payment?
The amount of the fees to be paid for the subscription of the special agreement for the provision of health care will be as follows, depending on the age of the subscriber on the date on which the corresponding monthly fee is accrued:
1º.- If the subscriber is under 65 years: monthly fee of 60 euros.
2º.- If the subscriber is 65 or older: monthly fee of 157 euros.
The fees will be paid by direct debit.
What documentation must be presented?
– Application for the signing of a special agreement for the provision of health care
– In the case of Spanish citizens, the National Identity Document (DNI) in force. In the case of persons who do not have Spanish nationality, a document certifying the Foreign Identity Number (NIE), or in their absence, a national identity document or passport in force.
– Documentation proving the applicant’s residence in Spain during a continuous period of at least one year immediately prior to the date of filing of the application.
– Documentation accrediting the fulfillment of the requirement of registration of the applicant in a municipality belonging to the territorial area of wherever in the Region of Valencia on the date of requesting the subscription of the special agreement.
– SEPA direct debit direct order
Persons interested in subscribing to a special agreement for the provision of health care must apply formally to the Territorial Department of the Department of Health of the province where the municipality of residence resides, submitting the corresponding subscription request.
The competent Territorial Directorate shall issue a decision on the appropriateness of signing the special agreement and shall notify it within a maximum period of 30 days from the day following that they receive the request.
The interested person will have a maximum period of three months to formalise the special agreement with the administration.
The health care agreement is terminated for any of the following causes:
A) Upon death of the person who has signed the special agreement.
B) When the person who has signed the special agreement acquires the status of person insured or beneficiary of the National Health System, or gets health coverage by a system of public health protection by any other means.
Please let us know if we can help in any way with this matter email@example.com.