NIE Number, Residencia, TIE & Padron


Posted and filed under Legal Paperwork (NIE, Residencia, Padron), Spanish Residency.

NIE Number in Spain

NIE number

All foreigners with any kind of fiscal (tax) obligations here in Spain are required to obtain a foreigner’s identity number. This document is called an NIE (“Número de Identificación para Extranjero”).

The NIE number identifies you to the Spanish tax authorities. This is very similar to the National Insurance number which you have in your own country.

This original certificate is essential when completing many of the transactions on a daily basis in Spain.

  • Buying and selling property
  • Getting a car registered in your name
  • Opening a bank account

These are just some of the times when you will need to have this document.

The NIE number certificate is now only issued with a validity of 3 months. But really this only needs renewing for Traffic matters, as for most other issues the original certificate suffices.

How to get an NIE in Spain?

We will prepare the paperwork for the NIE application and then accompany you to the relevant issuing office to obtain this certificate.

Spanish Residency Permit (TIE)

Do you need to become a Resident?

From 28 March 2007, Royal Decree 240/07 required that all EU citizens planning to reside in Spain for more than 6 months must obtain the new form of Residencia (now TIE) to show their residency.

The TIE is for life – it never expires (but it does have an expiry date so that your photograph can be updated).

We should make clear this is not a fiscal Residency Certificate. That is a certificate you need when registering with the Spanish Tax authorities.

A Residencia Certificate/card or the new TIE is that you are registered officially as a foreigner living in Spain, but not for tax purposes.

Residency For British Citizens in SpAIN
Residency For British Citizens in SpAIN

Padron in Spain (empadronamiento)

The Padron is a certificate given to justify that you live in Spain on a more or less permanent basis. This allows the local government to calculate how many people are living in an area and helps them to petition for grants to improve local facilities.

The Padron is essential for many daily aspects of life in Spain and can be obtained from the local Town Hall. Each office asks for different paperwork in relation to this and it can sometimes be a frustrating task.

We can verify the paperwork required and provide a translator to accompany you to the Town Hall to obtain this certificate.

Now, t is obligatory for anyone staying in Spain for more than six months to obtain a Padron. This certificate enables the town hall to do a head count on the number of permanent dwellers in the area.

Therefore petition for grants to maintain and improve the infrastructure.

The Padron Certificate is needed to register at a health centre and for a variety of other institutions as:

  • Including getting children into school
  • A car registered.

The Padron has a validity between 30 – 90 days. But, only needs to be updated when you actually need to show it to the authorities.

Please contact us for help with any of these matters.


  • Colin Griffiths

    Could you please advise me where to obtain a Fiscal residency certificate..thank you

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Colin ,

      We can help you obtain the fiscal residency certificate, my colleague Ana deals with taxes and will contact you directly by email to discuss this matter further.

      Kind regards

  • Sandra Holland

    I’ve already obtained my NIE status and have my number & small (credit card size) card. Do I now need to obtain residency status plus comply with the Padron process? If so, how, where do I complete these two requirements? What documentation do I need? I live with my boyfriend who works and the rental agreement is in his name. I do not work (yet) and have lived here since Feb ’19

    • Ian C.

      Hello Sandra,

      Thanks so much for contacting Spanish Solutions.
      I have spoken to Yann, in this department and she has some answers/questions.
      Basically you have to apply for Residency and we can help her to get the appointment. Also we can give you guidance on how to apply for the Padron, which it is required to get the Residencia.
      These were Yann specific points below:

      First, what do you mean by small (credit card size) card? The reason we ask is because NIE is normally A4 size. We also need to know if he (your boyfriend) works in Spain or in the UK. This question is because if you are not working you need money in the Spanish bank (7.000€) and full health cover (one year paid upfront).

      Documents requested

      Padron up to date (no more than 3 months old)
      Original Passport
      3 months bank statements from Spanish bank to show you live in Spain (the statement must have your name ,bank name etc)

      If your boyfriend is working in the UK:

      Form S1 stamped by the authorities in your country: original + copy
      last 3 months payment sheet
      1 passport picture

      If he is working in Spain:

      Working history (vida Laboral) original

      For you as an unemployed:

      Bank certificate or declaration about the revenue
      7.000€ in a Spanish bank account
      Spanish Health insurance: original (one year)

      Can you discuss this directly with Yann please Sandra? You ́ll get her appropriately enough on info@spanishsolutions. net or just go through the normal contact us form her on the blog and mark your request for Yann.
      Best wishes and good luck in Spain,


  • Nicola

    Hi there,
    My father is a UK citizen currently staying on his boat in Spain and wishes to be able to stay for longer than 3 months at a time. I believe he must register as a resident in order to do that. There are no appointments showing at the Oficina de Extranjeros but I have just managed to make him an appointment to get his padron at the local town hall. This seemed like the best option in the absence of any appointments at the Oficina de Extranjeros, however I see that he will need an NIE to get the padron which appears to be something you can only get when registering as a resident. Is the padron appointment therefore useless? What should he do since he seems unable to follow the guidelines to apply for residency? Thank you.

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Afternoon Nicola,

      When you apply for residencia you are stating that you stay in Spain more than half of the year and that Spain is your fixed abode, your dad will also be required to pay his taxes here in Spain, when resident.

      You can apply for the NIE before the residencia or both the NIE and residencia at the same time. In regards to the padrón it would be best to speak to the padrón office to see if they will allow your dad to register with only his passport.

      Kind regards

  • Emma

    I am so confused about Brexit. I am British, my partner is Spanish. We are planning to buy a house outright in Madrid province in April. We have been moving back and forth between our countries for the past two years unsure what was going to happen. What do I need to live in Spain? This is the first I have heard of me needing a Spanish bank account. I thought proof of my savings in the UK would be enough/my parents bank account proving they are supporting me whilst I look for work teaching English. I wont be able to get my padron until after we have bought the house but I now see that to buy a house I need a Spanish bank account and an NIE number. Additionally after this I need to apply for residency where I read there are long waiting lists – how long are they? We are currently in the canaries and aren’t due back to the peninsula until April. Please help us fathom our way through this.
    Many thanks,

    • Ian C.

      Hello Emma,
      You are not alone!
      In reality we have until the end of 2020 to get your residency sorted but i feel the sooner we start to gather your documents and start the ball rolling the better.
      Please don’t stress, it will be fine.
      Spain wants British people to stay here.

      On another note, I see that you are an English teacher. We work with an English school franchise and I can of course put you in touch with the owner to see if she has any opportunities for native English speakers.
      Stay in touch and let us know how we can help.
      Good luck,


  • David Woodward

    If I stay in Spain for 6 months from Sep2020 do I need to do anything? if the answer is yes, what do I need to do?

    • Ian C.

      The fiscal year in Spain is from the 1st. January to 31st. December. If you stay in Spain from September 2020 you are not going to be a fiscal resident in Spain in 2020, so you have to submit your tax return in your home country. Only when you live in Spain for more than six months during the fiscal year, you are liable to submit your tax return in Spain.

  • Sheila Constance Scott

    Can you tell me how to tell my real green A4 residency certificate from the many copies I have.
    Does it have a white back and a watermark

    • Jane

      Hi Sheila

      Yes white back with watermark.

      Kind Regards


  • Jim Bean

    Can you explain to me how to obtain an NIE number. I am a UK Citizen just moved to Barcelona. Will I obtain my NIE number at the Brexit Appointment, and then later apply for TIE. How does the process work?

    • Jane

      Hi Jim

      You will require to book n appointment with the Foreign office to obtain your NIE, then you can commence the TIE process.

      Kind Regards


  • amy davies

    Hi, question about completing forms/appointments etc that require an up to date padron form- My (green credit card) NIE residency is at my parents address. When I’m working I stay at another adress which is where I am currently registered on the Padron. These are in different municipaltiies/provinces, is this a problem? for example if I want to change to the new TIE card with the padron being in a different address?

    • Jane


      You will need to decide which of these addresses are where you see as your place of residence and padron address will then be the one on your TIE.

      Kind Regards


  • Lorraine Robson

    Hi – my husband & I have had a property in Spain for 13 years, so have a Spanish bank account & NIE numbers. I’m confused around the applying for residency as at present we visit 5-6 times a year but in about 5 years we would like to retire there. Please can you advise at to what forms we need to complete. Many thanks

    • Jane

      Hi Lorraine

      Unless you plan to live in Spain if you are a UK citizen you can only visit 90 days in 180 going forward. When you retire here then you can at that point apply for residency.

      Hope this help if you want to discuss further please give us a call.

      Kind Regards


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




Self-fillable legal documents for sale!

Top quality documents at incredible prices

Spanish Legal Documents

Looking for a solution?

Feel free to get in touch with any enquiries and one of our friendly members of staff will get back to you as soon as possible.

Form loading.