A Padron – who should register?


Posted and filed under Legal Issues in Spain.

A Padron – who should register?

Officially all residents in Spain are required by law to register on the padrón, yet many British ex-pats still have not done so. Perhaps some view the padrón as a means of vigilance by the state, in ‘big-brother’ fashion. However, in reality, it is simply a way for the town hall to know how many people live in their area, without entering into investigations as to a person’s official residence status or financial affairs. In addition, the information provided at registration is confidential and protected by data protection laws.

How do I register?

You don’t have to own your house to register, just have an address where you habitually live, no matter whether you are the owner, you rent, or live with family or friends.

Nor is registration a long drawn out process. Simply go to the padrón office of your town hall and fill in the form they provide. Take along official identification, such as a passport, and also your NIE or residence certificate/card, a recent utility bill in your name, and the deeds to your house or a copy of your rental contract. Although you may have to return to collect your certificate, the actual registration is completed all on the same day.

What are the benefits?

Once you’ve completed the simple process, you can begin to enjoy all the advantages being on the padrón offers, such as better public services

Central Government allocates money to the different municipalities according to how many people are on the padrón. Therefore, if you are not registered, your town hall is losing money for the provision of health centres, police officers, fire fighters and schools, access to benefits and social care.

In order to register to vote in local or European elections, you must first be registered on the padrón. You’ll find you need your padrón certificate to carry out various administrative tasks, such as register for healthcare, register your car with Spanish number plates or enrol your children in school.

What is more, there are times that it is fiscally advantageous to have been able to prove that you are on the padrón and thus a Spanish Resident, for example when something happens to you and your probate is being done. It is only for Residents and we recommend that you register yourself. In fact the British Consulate is urging all British Residents to make sure they have done so prior to Brexit.

Lastly, we had to mention that padróns are also a type of pepper from the North of Spain, small and usually green and a couple of inches long!



  • Sally Realey

    In my town the Padron costs 3€. I have discovered that other towns charge nothing. How can both be right? Is the Padron free or should it be?

    • Ian C.

      Good Morning Sally ,

      Thank you for your enquiry,

      Spanish Solutions help clients all over Alicante and are aware of this issue. How each Padron office operates can differ from town to town, for example here in Orihuela Costa, they do not charge any fee for the Padron. In the neighbouring town, San Miguel De Salinas, the fee for the Padron is 1€. It seems some town halls in Spain may request a fee towards the paper being used which in turn assists with the town’s budget.

      In regards to your question “Who should register on the Padron”, again this can differ from town to town. For our La Zenia, Cabo Roig, Torrevieja clients for example only Spanish residents can register on the Padron, we hope this helps.

      Kind regards / Saludos cordiales
      Nicola Ryan

  • Elaine

    Do I have to take my children to town hall with me to register them on Padron?

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Elaine,

      Thank you for your enquiry.

      If you want the children to be on the Padrón, yes. To be on the Padrón you must attend the Padrón office in person. we hope this helps.

      Kind regards

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




FREE - Our complete guide to Brexit

Free Brexit guide

Looking for a solution?

Feel free to get in touch with any enquiries and one of our friendly members of staff will get back to you as soon as possible.

Fill out my online form.