Selling a Property in Spain – Habitation Certificate and Energy Performance Certificate


Posted and filed under Newsletters, Property in Spain, Property Purchase/Sale Service.

Selling a Property in Spain – Habitation Certificate and Energy Performance Certificate

Habitation and Energy Performance Certificates

Habitation and Energy Performance Certificates are important when selling a property in Spain. Per Spanish Law, it is compulsory that you have these valid certificates:

Habitation Certificate:

This document proves that the property meets the Town Hall habitation requirements. It is not possible for the buyer to take over your water contract without it. This document is called “Licencia de Segunda Ocupación” when the property is a resale, not a new property bought from a builder. 

Energy Performance Certificate:

This is a certificate that has to be provided since June 2013. It is compulsory to have it when you advertise your property for sale or long rent.

We offer a special deal or combined cost for both certificates at our office in La Zenia. This price includes the architect certificates, the taxes to be paid both to the Government and Town Hall, and our fees. It is possible for us to assist with both Certificates in La Zenia, Orihuela Costa, Costa Blanca and Costa Cálida areas as our architect has to visit the property.  We are able however to assist from our office in La Zenia with some other matters all over Spain such as if co-owners of a property wish to transfer ownership to one owner only.
 When considering a sale, do make sure that you have valid Habitation and Energy Performance Certificates.

Fiscal Residency

Another matter to consider when selling a property in Spain is if you are Fiscal Resident in Spain or Non-Resident for tax purposes. If you are a Fiscal Resident of Spain then the Tax Office does not retain a 3% of the sale. In order to avoid this retention, it is compulsory, however, to bring to the Notary a certificate of Fiscal Residency. This document is issued by the Tax Office (our local office to La Zenia is in Orihuela).

In order to get it you have to provide them with the following documents:

  • copy of your NIE
  • copy of your passport
  • copy of Padron
  • copy of Title Deeds
  • Income Certificate
  • Bank statements for the last year. The bank statements must be stamped by the bank and show the bank account holders.

Please take into account that these certificates are only valid for 3 months. Therefore our advice is that you do not apply for them until a buyer has paid a deposit. Otherwise, the document may not be valid at the Notary as it can have run out of time by the time that the Deeds of the sale are to be signed.

We hope this information is helpful to you and if you are selling in our area, please contact us for assistance with Habitation Certificate and Energy Performance Certificates, as well as the legal work for the sale. Contact

Looking for a solution?

Feel free to get in touch with any enquiries and one of our friendly members of staff will get back to you as soon as possible.

Fill out my online form.