How to Obtain a Tourist Licence (Murcia Community)


Posted and filed under Newsletters.

Tourist Licence in murcia plate

Do you own a property in Murcia which you rent out? Do you have your correct licence in place? Do you want to obtain a tourist licence in Murcia?

You are in the right place and you should do it now. There was a time when you could rent your Spanish property and never have to worry about any repercussions.

That ship has sailed and in 2020 having your property rental licence, (tourism licence), being legal/insured and paying the correct amount of tax is high on our clients list of important tasks.

Why do I need a Tourism Licence?

We want you to avoid a fine if you are thinking of renting your property (oralready are renting) and we can help.

The process in Murcia region right now is quick. There are bottlenecks all over the country trying to process applications (not here!) so our advice isto get the process started immediately.

We can’t say how long it will take for the process in Murcia too to become long and painfully slow. The process changed overnight in Alicante recently as an example.

Here in Spanish solutions, especially since opening our new office on the Murcia / Alicante border town of Pilar De La Horadada, we are receiving anumber of enquiries about registering a property in the Murcia Com-munity.

Why use Spanish Solutions services?

We wish to provide our clients with some information about obtain a Tourist Licence.

Some of these clients used Spanish Solutions for conveyancing, some did not as they didn’t know we existed. It is not too late to become a client however and we will help you regardless.

As Tourism Licences are a complex matter, we are setting the informationout as clearly as possible.

Currently our registration service fees are 80€ + VAT = 96.80€.

Please send any documents and requests to Ana to proceed.

Tourist Licence RegistrationWe require:

  • PASSPORT (copy)
  • NIE Number (copy)
  • Council tax bill (copy)
  • NUMBER OF BEDROOMS AND BEDS (Maximum occupation)
  • APPLICATION FORM SIGNED (original signature is required)

Signs: Tourist Licence plate in Murcia

After you get the registration number you must install a sign close to the front door of your property.

It shows your registration number on it. We can also help to get the Tourist Licence Murcia sign.

Tourist Licence plate in Murcia

Tourist Guests registration in Murcia

Please remember we can of course do this for you too.

The process is that when you start renting out your apartment in Spain you must report the guests’ personal data to the Police.

You or your representatives need to go to the nearest Police station “Guardia Civil”. Here you can get access to the relevant website. You will be assigned a username and password to access online where you will fill the information.

We can help you on obtaining the Tourist Licence codes. The fees are not expensive, but sometimes we literally need to go a couple of times to the Guardia Civil- All can be discussed for you.

Rental Tax in Murcia – Spain

When you rent out your property being non resident in Spain you have to pay a rental tax every quarter, in January, April, July and October. If you only rent out the property short term you will have to submit the form in the corresponding quarter.

To calculate the tax it is needed the following information:

  • Copy NIE of any of the owners
  • A copy of the rental contract (in the case it is long term rental)
  • Rental dates
  • Money receivedProperty expenses:
  • Council tax(copy of the bill)
  • Community fee
  • House insurance.

Our fees per person and for a couple are as follows:

ONE QUARTER: €100 (VAT included)

FULL YEAR: €300 (VAT included)

In case you pay for the whole year, this fee includes the non resident tax fee for the following year.

If you pay rental tax in 2019, next year 2020 when we calculate your non resident tax we will deduct the days you have rented out and calculate the non resident tax for the rest of the days.

This is all quite confusing but we can help you through the process.

We know there are people offering cheaper services. These people are not qualified to do so. We know how long the process takes, what is involved in doing it correctly and what do our clients really need.

You can of course compare our service to that of others- We encourage our clients to so. Just to reiterate- this is not easy, and you need to do it correctly. You wouldn’t go to Dentist who knows quite a bit about teeth, you ́’ll go to the guy or gal who knows it all. Think the same way with yourrental property in Spain!!

Please note this information is current at the time of posting.


  • Susan Gartside

    Good Morning,
    I have a rental company. I have had the properties inspected by the Tourist Board and all have passed. I now need to buy the plates. Can I purchase them from you please? If so, how do I proceed. Kind Regards. Susan Gartside

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Susan,

      Thank you for your enquiry, yes of course we can help no problem. We will contact you directly to get the ball rolling.

      We look forward to speaking with you.
      Kind regards

  • Maria

    Good afternoon, for non-residents, can mortgage fees be included as propertu expenses and deducted from the income received through short-term rentals?

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Evening Maria ,

      Thank you for your enquiry.

      The mortgage payments would not be offset against the rental income, we are sorry.

      Kind regards

  • Daniel Bourne

    Hi, I need to obtain a Tourist Licence. & then submit the quarterly tax returns. Can you assist & what is the cost please

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Evening Daniel,

      Spanish Solutions can help you with the tourist licence and rental tax return for sure. Please see a link below, to our blog discussing the rental tax return:

      We will contact you directly, to discuss this and the tourist licence. When we know the exact location of your property we can confirm the correct process.

      We look forward to speaking with you.
      Kind regards

  • John Mckim

    I have let my property with an agent last year.but decided yo let ourselves.He said he would change to our name for €250 euros.Is this expensive or should I get a new one from you.

    • Ian C.

      Hello John,

      Good to hear from you.
      Renting your property yourself in Spain, privately, is a terrible idea. Do you live here in Spain? Do you have someone who can inspect the property?
      What about the contract- Has a law office drawn it up? Do you have a deposit? Are you insured? where are you getting tenants? Is the inventory signed by both parties?
      Are the licences in place?
      Are you declaring your tax in spain?
      There are so many things that can go wrong when you rent at all, however renting privately unless you have a really good fiscal/legal team advising you in not a good idea at all.

      I’d say 90% of private deals fall apart when there is not a formal agreement in place with someone here on the ground in Spain who knows how to enforce it.
      250 euro for a property management company, if they are legal, you’ve seen references and they know what they are doing is very reasonable. I would be concerned why they are only charging 250 euro though?
      Do they know the answers to the questions above?
      You need to be careful.
      Do you want a few recommendations to rental and property management firms we work with?

      kind regards,


  • janet casserley

    I have a property in pilar de horardada (new build) and have been trying for 18 months to obtain tourist licence are they being issued and can you help?

    • Ian C.

      Hello Janet,

      We really dislike saying no but currently, we cannot get you a tourist licence in Pilar de la Horadada. We have friends in the town hall and they can’t even help.
      Our architect, Antonio is from Pilar de La Horadada and he assured me today that as soon as the rules change he will get cracking on it.
      The town hall is pretty open to ideas to improve the town and I spoke to the mayor directly a few months back- they need tourists and I think they understand their importance to the local economy.
      Fingers crossed we don’t have much longer to wait.

      Best wishes,


  • Denise Higgins

    I would like to know how to obtain a holiday let licence.

    • Jane

      Hi Denise

      I have sent you an e mail with our details for you to contact us and we will talk you through the process.

      Kind Regards


  • Loraine Marshall

    I’m resident here in Cartagena I am looking at applying to start a business offering an exclusive retreat for women. B & B style accommodation with activities.
    What type of licence would I need? Would I need any other licence for live music evenings?
    What about hygiene certificates when serving breakfasts?
    What about paying taxes as a resident business owner?
    Is this something you can help with?

    • Jane

      Hi Loraine

      Yes we can assist Ana will mail you directly with the answers.

      Kind Regards


  • Danny

    Hi is there any changes for getting a tourist license in pilar Horadada TIA.

    • Jane

      Hi Danny

      Can you explain what you mean by changes? Please contact if you wish us to assist you with obtaining the licence.

      Kind Regards


  • Helen Margaret Llewellyn

    I’m a resident in Spain, I live in Almeria province but am interested in having a rental property (short term holiday rentals) in Caravaca de La Cruz.

    What will the cost be to get the licence, is the tax just income tax? Are there any requirements for properties?

    • Jane

      Hi Helen

      One of the team will be in touch with you direct to answer your questions.

      Kind Regards


  • Garry Baker

    Good Morning we have property and land in Jumilla . We are looking to start a Yurt/ camping site . Will i need a tourist licence.

    • Jane

      Hi Garry

      It is not a tourist licence it would be starting a company. In the first instance before you engage a fiscal advisor you should go to your local Town Hall and check if this land would be approved for a camp site.

      Kind Regards


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




Self-fillable legal documents for sale!

Top quality documents at incredible prices

Spanish Legal Documents

Looking for a solution?

Feel free to get in touch with any enquiries and one of our friendly members of staff will get back to you as soon as possible.

Form loading.