How to Obtain a Tourist Licence (Valencia Community)


Posted and filed under Newsletters.

How to Obtain a Tourist Licence (Valencia Community)

Now that we are receiving a number of enquiries about registering a property in the Valencian Community we wish to provide clients with some information about obtain a Tourist Licence. As it is a complex matter, we are setting the information out as clearly as possible.

Currently our registration service fees are 40€ + VAT = 48.40€.

Please send any documents and requests to Ana to proceed.



We require:


– COPY OF NIE Number

– COPY OF SUMA (council tax bill)



– NUMBER OF BEDROOMS AND BEDS (Maximum occupation)

– APPLICATION FORM SIGNED (original signature is required)

If you do not have the Habitation certificate now called “Declaracion responsable de segunda ocupacion” we can help you with this process. Please advise Ana .


Compatibility Report

The Town hall report of Tourist use compatibility is a new requirement, as the law changed on the 9th July 2018.

We must file the application form and wait until we receive this certificate. We can help you on obtaining it for €100 + VAT.

You can send the copies attached by email. The application form however has to be sent by registered post to our address as we need your original signature on it:


Calle Flores 3, bajo C, La Zenia II

03189 – Orihuela Costa

When we receive the licence from the Tourist Office, we send it to you by email.



After you get the registration number you must install a sign close to the front door of your property. It shows your registration number on it.

We charge €40 + VAT = 48.40€ for a sign.



Then when you start renting out your apartment you must report the guests’ personal data to the Police. You must go to the nearest Police station to get an user and password to access on line to fill in a list with this data.

We can help you on obtaining these codes for €60 + VAT = €72.60€


Rental Tax

When you rent out your property being non resident in Spain you have to pay a rental tax every quarter, in January, April, July and October. If you only rent out the property short term you will have to submit the form in the corresponding quarter.

To calculate the tax it is needed the following information:

– copy NIE of any of the owners

– copy of the rental contract (in the case it is long term rental)

– rental dates

– money received

Property expenses:

council tax (copy of the bill)

– community fee

– house insurance.

Our fees per person and for a couple are as follows:



(VAT included)

In case you pay for the whole year, this fee includes the non resident tax fee for the following year.

If you pay rental tax in 2017, next year 2018 when we calculate your non resident tax we will deduct the days you have rented out and calculate the non resident tax for the rest of the days.

This is all quite confusing but we can help you through the process. We are very experienced in dealing with this now and here to assist you.

Please note this information is current at the time of posting.

Are you strug­gling to find genu­ine, hon­est, Eng­lish- speak­ing legal help in Pi­lar de la Horadada, Mil Palmeras, Los Al­caz­ares, Torre Pacheco or sim­ilar areas?  If so we can help!  Don’t sign any­thing be­fore talk­ing to us and give you our legal ad­vice. We come to you in an hour! 

Nic­ola works closely with the ex­pat com­munity here in the Ori­huela Costa and sur­round­ing areas, her areas of work are NIEs, ResidenciaWills and any Traffic mat­ters.



  • Mark

    Hi, I need to have a tourist licence valencia community. Can you please assist me with this? It’s a bit of an urgent matter. Kind regards Mark de Rijke

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Mark,

      Thank you for your enquiry which has been passed to Ana, Ana deals with the tourist licenses and will be in contact with you via email shortly.

      Kind regards

  • Michelle Morrissey

    i would like to rent a villa in spain they have sent me a tourist license number, can you please tell me how i check this.

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Michelle,

      Thank you for your enquiry.

      You should be able to check the tourist licence number with the Tourist Information Board in Spain or you can ask the owner for a copy of the letter which the Town Hall produce when they issue the tourist license number, we hope this helps.

      Kind regards

  • Paul Turner

    I require assistance in obtaining a tourist licence for our villa in Torrevieja. Are you able to assist please?

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Paul,

      Thank you for your enquiry.

      We can confirm Ana emailed you yesterday in regards to the tourist licence, should you not have received the email or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

      Kind regards

  • Zoe

    hi, i want to buy an apartment in Valencia for the purpose of renting it out to tourists. are chances high or very low of getting a license here? does it often happen that people invest in an apartment for airbnb etc. and then get their license request denied? thank you for your help! – Zoe

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Zoe,

      We understand your concern, your enquiry has been passed to Ana who deals with the tourist licenses on a daily basis, Ana will be in contact with you shortly. In the meantime should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

      Kind regards

  • Ramaekers S

    i would like to register to obtain my licence certificate.

    Can you help please?

    Many Thanks

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning ,

      Thank you for your enquiry,

      We have passed your enquiry to Ana who deals with the tourist licence, Ana will be in contact with you via email shortly.

      Kind regards

  • Noel Robinson

    I am thinking about buying a rural house but have heard that the land needs to be 10,000m2 before I can get a tourist licence. Is this true?

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Noel,

      Thank you for your enquiry.

      You are correct, a rustic land and also a rural house are regulated by a different law. Ana will contact you directly via email to discuss the law in more details.

      Kind regards

  • Tina

    Hi. I’m just interested if you have a Bed and Breakfast establishment would you still be required to obtain a tourist licence?

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Tina,

      When you set up a Bed & Breakfast you need to set up a company and also have the relevant licence in place. Due to this you do not need a tourist licence, we hope this helps.

      Kind regards Nicola

  • Susan Murray

    Hi, I am thinking of renting my property out next year for the summer season. Looking on the Costa blanca Forum it states that your bathroom requires to have a bath to obtain the Tourist licence. I have just put in a walk in shower therefore am I unable to rent my property out?

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Susan,

      We are happy to say that you can definitely rent your property out without a bath.

      There are 3 categories in which you can advertise your property, standard, high and superior. It may be the “superior” that requires a bath,if you are going through a letting agent they will advise you correctly, we hope this helps.

      Kind regards

  • Fredericka thompson

    Where do I apply for the plaque required or property rental?

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Frederick,

      We can help you with the plaque for the tourist licence, Ana who deals with the tourist licences, will be in contact with you shortly via email.

      Kind regards

  • N Allen

    We are planning to buy a villa in the Moraira/Calpe area of CB. The villa may not have the tourist license so we will need to obtain. Is there a chance we buy the villa and then cannot get a license? It’s quite a concern obviously.
    Thank you

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Mr Allen,

      We understand your concern and can help you. We can check with the town hall to ensure you can get the Certificate of Compatibility with Tourist Use before purchasing the property, you need this document in order to get the tourist licence. We recommend that you always check this before going ahead with the purchase. Ana, who deals with the tourist licences, will be in contact with you shortly via emailto discuss this matter further.

      Kind regards

  • Mrs r.j. mcgill

    I have the relevant tourist licence plaque outside my villa. Can you deal with all tax returns on my behalf if I give you the figures every quarter? The villa is owned by myself son and daughter. Would that be 300 euros for that service every year? Please advise.

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Mrs McGill,

      Ana, who deals with the taxes, will be in contact with you directly to gather more information and discuss the process further.

      Kind regards

  • Angela

    Please can you tell me how long it will take to get a tourist licence and can I rent my property once I have the application in process? Or do I need to wait until I have the licence?

    • Ian C.

      Hello Angela,
      Thanks for contacting Spanish Solutions.
      The length of time to obtain the tourism licence varies, depending on the town hall.
      Are you based in Roda Golf? We can visit you there rather than you coming all the way to La Zenia if you prefer. In fact our engineer is based in Pilar De La Horadada so its probably closer for him.
      The whole process on average takes 8 weeks, however, we know if longer and shorter ones. Factors like whether or not you have a Certificate of Habitation can delay the process.
      Two big things regarding licences to rent your property in Spain;
      1. You can advertise the property for rent once you´ve made the application. (or once we´ve made it for you)
      2. Be careful- there are two types of property rental licence. Estate agents generally apply for one that allows them to exclusively to rent your property. If you use this one, you can’t legally advertise your own property for rent. Only that agent can do it. The licence we apply for is totally private and unique to you. You can rent privately on various portals, rent through an agent, switch agents, use multiple agents etc.

      Spanish Solutions are processing hundreds of tourism licences in Spain right now and the best way to rent your property in Spain is the right way!!!
      We can help you with property rental tax too- Please let us know if you need any advice on this,

      Kind regards,


  • Iwona

    We’ve an apartment in Guardamar del Segura and we need a tourist licence (it’s quite urgent). Can you please assist us with obtaining one?
    Few people told us that it’s very difficult to get one and a majority of the applications are rejected – is that true?

    • Ian C.

      Hello Iwona,
      The news is not good. That is true, Guardamar Town hall is denying the certificates of compatibility so it is not possible to get a tourist licence so far in the whole city!
      It is crazy.
      I will email you directly just now and we can discuss your options more.


  • Adam

    GDay! Could I obtain the touristic license for the apartments in Valencia (except Ciutat Vella), Alicante (Mercado, Playa de San Juan) and Benidorm. Is it possible now? What conditions does the apartment must met to obtain the touristic license at the moment? Thanks so much.

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Afternoon Adam,

      To obtain a tourist licence in Valencia, it is not posible in the whole “centro historico”. In both, Valencia and Alicante it is not possible to get the tourist licence in the first line in front of the sea, affected by coast law, and if the apartment has a neighbour next door or below, it should be the sole property on the ground floor,

      We hope this helps

  • Richard Smith

    Hello, l dont understand what you replied to Adam above about apartments in Alicante. Would l be about to get a tourist licence in Benidorm others in my block have them. l have neighbours above and below and too one side. The flat above has a licence and what would be the tax implications please as a resident? Thank you

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good morning Richard,

      It is the main cities for example Valencia and Alicante where it may be difficult to get a tourist licences for the apartments if they are not situated on the ground floor, Ana will contact you directly via email to discuss the tax implications of renting your property out as a resident and the tourist licence in Benidorm.

      Kind regards

  • David Mayfield

    I intend to apply for a tourist licence for my property in Villamartin- Orihuela Costa but the neighbours say they have been told the certificate of compatibility is being denied by the town hall/council.
    Is this worth pursuing or the neighbours are right?
    Thank you.

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning David,

      That is correct, there was a delay with the town hall issuing the certificate of compatibility but this has now been resolved.

      We have spoken to Orihuela Costa town hall and they have confirmed they have cleared two months of the seven months backlog and are now moving again, we have had 15 certificates unblocked and are currently being processed as we speak.

      Should you need any assistance in obtaining your tourist licence , please do not hesitate to contact us, we would be happy to help.

      Kind regards

  • Amanda Roberts

    Good evening,
    We have an apartment in Santa Pola and require a tourist licence for our property, we are classed as 1st floor but it is realistically the 2nd floor, how quickly do you think this could be done and could you envisage any problems? Many thanks, Mandy

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Amanda,

      For the tourist licence in Santa Pola, we will need to contact Elche town hall and discuss the requirements, time scales, cost ect.

      To do this we will need your catastral number, this will be on your SUMA bill (council tax) or possibly your title deeds, the nota simple and your full address. Please feel free to forward these documents by email or if easier bring them to the office, when received we will check this for you.

      Kind regards

  • Maciej

    Hi, my name is Maciej, we have an apartment recently purchased in Dehesa de Campoamore, Orihuela, we have applied for the tourism license via third party company that helps us rent and maintain the apartment. In the past we obtained the license in Torrevieja but since we moved to Campoamore we are still waiting for one (since February). We are seeking help with obtaining license, we are half way in to season with no ability to rent the apartment :( can we even try to rent it with license being in process?

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Maciej,

      We understand your frustration and can confirm there is a back log in this área,

      If you have the Certificate of Compatibility from the town hall and the paperwork has been submitted for the tourist licence, you are legal and are able to rent while the tourist licence is being processed. It would be best to check this with the company dealing with this for you. If you have evidence of the paperwork being submitted, this should be ebough until the tourist licence has been received. We hope this helps.

      Kind regards

  • Lili

    Hello, I just purchased an apartment in Quatre Carreres, En Corts in Valencia. I am not a resident. What do I need to get the tourist license in the city of Valencia.
    Thank you,

    • Amanda Thomas

      Hi Lili, In Valencia City they only permit compatibility with tourist use if you have a ground floor or first floor property with a comercial building below. You can’t have any neighbours in the same floor or below. Is this the case please? it is best you email Yannelsis on

  • Jonas Baeyens

    What is the procedure when planning to open a micro hotel in Torrevieja? Max 10 rooms, occupancy of 30persons?

    • Amanda Thomas

      Dear Jonas, This is complicated, Please send an email to Ana, explaining if you have purchased the premises, how far long you are with it, what licences it has at the moment, thanks so much

  • VAL

    Hi there
    We are thinking of buying a newly Built apartment in Campoamor Orihuela Costa. Is it difficult to get a tourist licence in this region? How long does it take to get the licence, Please?

    • Amanda Thomas

      Hi Val, It is getting better. It takes about 6 months very roughly. If you email Nicola on, when she is back next week she will help you with all the information on this,

  • Per Lottrup

    Where can we obain the aplication form ?

    • Amanda Thomas

      Dear Per, I know Nicola has emailed you directly about this. Kind regards

  • Jean Bolton

    I first applied through my Solicitor for my tourist licence in June 18 but the paperwork was returned as I believe because they changed some of the rules in July 18. My Solicitor didn’t reapply until February 19 and as to date we still haven’t got the licence. We are under Orihuela and I believe the problem is getting the compatability certificate. Why should this take so long and would it be better to start the whole process again with yourselves. I am very frustrated and keep ringing my Solicitor hoping for some news.

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Evening Jean,

      That is correct, the town hall does have a delay in the processing of the Compatability Reports. This is because the town hall has only one Architect dealing with the demand, this along with the increase in applications, have created a back log.

      Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done to speed up the process. The only thing to do is wait, we are sorry. Starting the process again would only put you to the back of the queue which you are already in. We hope you get your tourist licence soon.

      Kind regards

  • Pierre Strömberg

    I can not find specific information on legislation/regulations regarding letting house in Valencia city.

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Evening Pierre,

      Thank you for your enquiry.

      We know that not all properties in the Valencian area will get a Tourist licence, For example: it is not possible in the whole “centro historico”, inside the old doors and also in the first line in front of the sea as it is affected by coast law. If it is an apartment it is not allowed if you have a neighbour living next door or below, it should be the sole property on the floor or a ground floor wit a local underneath.

      We would recommend checking with the local town hall prior to requesting any of the certificates or reports. Should you need any assistance with this please do not hesitate to contact us we would be happy to help.

      Kind regards

  • Thomas Mueller

    Hi Nicola,
    I?m interested in buying a house in Ciutat Vella in Valencia. Each floor (4) has one room. I would like to to turn it into a little Hostel/B&B.
    What kind of licence do I need to get and also how good are the chances to get one?

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Thomas,

      Exciting times ahead. To set up a hostel/B&B you would firstly need to open a buisness with an accountant, then the relevent licences would be obtained from the town hall for example opening licences ect. An accountant can assist you with this.

      Should you need any assistance with this or the purchasing of your property, please do not hesitate to contact us. Our accountant, Marie Carmen, would be happy to help with the opening of your buisness and our conveyancing department would be happy to assist you in any way they can.

      Kind regards

  • Tamara

    Do the tourist housing restrictions in Valencia city (ground/first floor, no neighbors, etc) apply if the rental is only a room inside the owner’s residence? This would be outside the centro historico. All the laws I’ve read apply to “entire properties.”

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning Tamara,

      Thank you for your enquiry.

      The tourist licence is for the property, not for part of it. If you rent one of the rooms, we would talk about a bed & breakfast, that in Spain is considered as a Hostel, the concept B&B does not exist. You would need an opening licence and to set up as autonomo (self employed). We hope this helps.

      Kind regards

  • J

    Hello. Great website you have. I have a question. I own a piso in central Valencia. I would like to rent out just one room on AirBnb. Do I need a licence for this? Thank you for your help

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Morning J,

      Thank you for your kind words, which I will pass back to the rest of the team.

      In regards to your enquiry, the tourist licence is for the property, not for part of it. If you rent one of the rooms, we would talk about a bed & breakfast, that in Spain is considered as a Hostel, the concept B&B does not exist. You would need an opening licence and to set up as autonomo (self employed).A fiscal advisor can help you with this.

      Kind regards

  • Oliver

    Hi I have a studio apartment which is registered as commercial can I rent it out on a month to month basis to different people? Would I need a tourist licence or business licence

    • Nicola Ryan

      Good Afternoon Oliver,

      Thank you for your enquiry.

      Can we ask if you will be renting the property out as a commercial unit or a holiday home. We look forward to hearing from you.

      Kind regards Nicola

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




Looking for a solution?

Feel free to get in touch with any enquiries and one of our friendly members of staff will get back to you as soon as possible.

Form loading.